Saturday, July 13, 2013

Some Thoughts on Being Home

I've been eating cereal at least two times a day, if not three. 

I stare at a lot of things. 
I stare at grass, I stare at my house, I stare at the sky, I stare at rain, and I walk out into the middle of the street just so I can have a clear view to stare at the sunset. 

Everything is really clean. 
The air smells like green things instead of exhaust, smoke, dust, and poo.

Solitude and quiet is so very, very amazing. 

If a rock and a slug had a baby...that's what American food makes me feel like. 
I don't feel sick, I just feel like I weigh a thousand pounds and don't like moving as much as I did in China.

I miss using Chinese words on a daily basis, even though I didn't know many of them. 
Sometimes I also miss squatty potties, but only when I come across public toilet seats that are particularly over-used.

Calendars and planners are wicked, terrifying necessities.

I'm much more comfortable than I used to be when talking to people I don't know well. 
Usually this is a good thing. 

The gift of walking in bare feet is indescribable.

Life is stretched thinner when you have more than five other Americans to keep up with.

My attention span is already shorter than it used to be. 

No matter where I happen to live, I'm never very good at keeping my room tidy. 

It's hard to make plans when I'm not sure exactly where I'll be in August. 
Making plans is, unfortunately, much more of a priority in America. 

I'm much calmer than I once was. 
I've also turned into MIZ INDEPENDENT.
Does this happen to most almost-23-year-olds?

I have rare moments of acute sadness where I'm able to clearly recall my students' voices, laughter, hugs, and excitement. I get misty-eyed when I remember that I won't be returning to see them. Ever.

Dryers are such FABULOUS inventions. So are dishwashers. 

I get angry whenever I see a national news report about what somebody said on TWITTER or FACEBOOK and how somebody else was offended. 
Really?
I spent a year in a place where people called me "foreigner" on a daily basis and NOBODY cared. 
For the record, I don't condone racism, but I think as a nation we need to be a little less sensitive about things people say without thinking and be a little more sensitive about, OH, I don't know, maybe thousands of people worldwide dying of curable diseases on a daily basis or even national debt. 
C'mon, guys. 

I like to drive, partly because I got a new car, but mostly because driving is wonderful. 

America is full of soft things to cuddle with, like couches, beds, and house pets.

I've hardly taken any pictures since being back and I don't understand why.

I've had several people ask if I'm still a student. 
Sometimes they mean high school. 
Do I need to break out my "I'm a Grown-Up" badge?

Entitlement comes in all shapes and sizes. 
Sometimes it even comes in Laura-size, and I hate that.

I got misty-eyed while watching a show at Dollywood. Then I got sick off of their cinnamon bread, and I didn't care.

Sometimes when I look at the Smoky Mountains, I feel like I'm seeing a piece of heaven.


My new wheels. 
Her name is Le'monjuice (put on your ghetto accent and say "Luh-mon-jew-eese") and, yes, I will be the one paying for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment